Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Broke Kids on the Hunt.

House hunting that is!

Dillon and I have planned for a while to save up and get our own place this summer.  I'm itching to actually decorate my OWN home and do what I want to it.  Plus, we'll be able to walk around naked whenever we want ;) Just kidding.  But, I seriously can't wait until we find something.

I'm 22 and Dillon is 26, we're both in college, and we both work in restaurants (read: not a lot of money.)  We are trying to set our budget at about $900/month + utilities (though I would like the rent to be as cheap as possible without being a shit hole.)  Believe it or not, you can find some pretty reasonable houses out here for that price.  If any one reads this, I'm curious to know how much it would be where you live!  I know cost of living is way cheap here compared to other places.

We finally got down to business the other night and discussed what we absolutely wanted, and what would be nice to have.  There aren't a lot of houses for rent to start with, so we know we are going to have to make some sacrifices.  Here's what we came up with:

MUSTS:
  1. We are looking for a house.  No apartment, condo, townhome, duplex, etc.  I'm used to living in apartments through my college years so I don't mind it, but Dillon really doesn't want to be surrounded by people that we can hear through our walls 24/7.  And we would have a little bit more freedom when it comes to decorating.  So this is our number 1 priority.
  2. 2 bedrooms.  We have two beds that are most definitely coming with us, so we need rooms to put them in.  It would be nice to have somewhere for our guests to stay, as well.  I would really like 3 bedrooms, so I could make one an office/project space, but that can wait until we actually work towards owning a home.
  3. Appliances.  We most definitely do not have a budget set to buy appliances.  So, we are looking for a house that has a refrigerator, stove, and dishwasher.
  4. Pets allowed.  This isn't really a must, but I really really really want somewhere that will allow us to have pets.  I don't care about a non-refundable pet fee.  I want a dog, dammit!  And a kitty, even though Dillon is a cat hater.  Hmph.
  5. Fixer upper.  We aren't looking for something move in ready and super fancy.  I'm going to make Dillon into my little handy man, he just doesn't know it yet.  We are both open to moving somewhere that needs a little bit of work.  Since we are going to be renting, we aren't going to do any super major renovations, but I want to be able to paint walls, trim, kitchen cabinets, change light fixtures, etc.
WANTS:
  1. Washer and dryer included.  Like I said, we are trying to avoid buying any major appliances at all costs since we are already going to have to buy most of the furniture.  I've found a few options that have these included, so it's not impossible.
  2. Fenced in yard.  For our pets, duh!
  3. Hardwood floors.  I'm so over carpet.  I hate vacuuming, I hate how it gets dirty so easily, and I love how awesome hardwood floors can look in a home.   I'll even compromise for laminate.. just no carpet, please!
  4. At least 1.5 baths.  Dillon and I currently use the bathroom that we also have to share with guests whenever they come over.  It's really a pain in the ass.  You all know how it is.  I want our own bathroom!
I'm sure there's more, but this is just a start.  I've been scouring Craigslist and various other sources for a long time now, but since it's nearing the end of February, we've really got to buckle down and be on the look-out if we want to have our own place by summer.  Eeeeek, I'm so excited just thinking about all the decorating and DIY's I'll be able to do!

Since blog posts without pictures royally suck, I though I would post a few exterior pictures of houses we've seen that we love.  They'll most likely be taken by the time we are looking to move, but this gives you a general idea of the type of housing around here that fits in our budget (keep in mind that we are looking for a fixer upper and some of these don't look very pretty right now :))  Enjoy!


$975/month.  Over budget, but I loooove it.

$950/month
$795/month
$895/month
$925/month
 It's definitely going to be tough to find something that fits in our budget, but I think starting early and really knowing what we want is going to help us find the perfect place.  Wish us luck.  And if you have any tips, please share!!

Until next time,
-Em

All images via Craigslist.

1 comment: