Monday, February 18, 2013

Designer Spotlight: Nake Berkus

Side Note: I know everyone wants to gauge their eyes out when their alarm goes off at 6:00 am on a Monday morning as mine did, but today has been the BEST day ever, seriously.  I'm bursting at the seems with accomplishment and I have to share.  I had a really big anatomy exam this morning and was quite nervous going into and I made a damn 101!  The anatomy gods have been good to me.  Not to mention I got my tax return.  Hallelujahhhh! Ah.

Moving on.  I haven't been into this whole design world for long, so I haven't known about Nate Berkus and been able to drool over his work as everyone else has.  But I adore him.  (I thought I read somewhere that his show was no more.. is that fact?)  I like to feature designers that I would die to have work on my home, and I think it's a way of showing my style to anyone who reads this.  These posts are always fun for me, and by the end I have to wipe the drool off my chin :D

I won't go into too much detail on who he is because I know everyone who is interested in this field knows or has heard of him, but here's a little excerpt from his website:

"In 2002 Nate was invited to make over a small space for “The Oprah Winfrey Show," after which he became a featured design expert for the show and continued to garner national press in publications such as Elle Decor, US Weekly, People, O Magazine, Lucky, InStyle and House Beautiful."

Bam.  Thanks Oprah.


Fun fact?  I used to hate anything tufted when I first got into this.  I'm freakin' obsessed with any and all tufts now.  I love seeing my style evolve into what it truly is.  And like one of my favie bloggers, Erin at Elements of Style, anything animal print is golden in my book.  I like to wear it, too!  I like how the colors aren't too crazy but there's still a lot of different textures and things to look at that keep your eye moving. 


I would never go for a neutral color palette as much as this one is, but I can't find one thing I don't like.  The nailhead trim on those cocoa brown chairs, the darker more curvy chocolate chair, all the brass accents throughout the room, and I would love to have that brass side table in my bedroom.  And the floors? Come on.  It doesn't get better than that, people!



I've died and gone to heaven.  I mean, it's a room that holds clothes (not one of the most important in a house), but this closet is freakin' fantastic.  The yellow ottoman is the perfect punch of color and the fact that it's tufted just makes it a million and one times better in my book.  The yellow doorknob?  Small detail, but it makes a world of difference in my opinion.  And again with the brass details.  Yum.


Sweet baby Jesus.  I love how calm and serene this space feels.  The pop of the purple flowers is the perfect touch, and that pig makes for an interesting piece.  Oink oink.  I feel like every room should have that unique piece that keeps things interesting and this is a perfect example.  And baby pig on the counter :D


O. M. G.  I would feel like a movie star if I got ready at this vanity every morning.  It's fabulous.  So so glam, and so elegant at the same time!!  Natey (I can call him that right?) is my idol.  Bow down.


Holy chandelier.  That is all.

Such a true talent in the interior design world and if I could be .00002% as talented as Natey in my home, I would be truly happy :D

Mmmmm, love designer posts.  Makes you want to decorate your house, huh?  Watch that bank account!!

Oh yeah!  Tax money = lots of projects/crafting/painting/making of ish coming up.  I have lots and lots of ideas.  AND.. I finally brought a piece in that I got last week for a steal of $40.  I'm not going to be giving it a new life until we actually move into our own place, but I can't wait that long to share it.

I'm not feeling too well so I'm going to finish up The Bachelor, possibly work on a little project, and take my booty to bed!

Until next time,
-Em

All pictures from NateBerkus.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment