Friday, March 8, 2013

I'm alive!

Y'all.  This crazy thing we call life has seriously gotten in the way lately.  Going to school full time and then going straight to work right after leaves me time for nothing.  As of today at 11:15 a.m., though, I am officially on Spring Break!! Lots more updating coming up.

Anywho, it was nice and sunny outside today so I took some time to take pictures of my bedroom.  It's a "kinda" before because I've already put some new things in there, but at least you'll get to see the space I'm working with.  It's got a long ways to go, and I'll probably never completely finish it given the fact that we are supposed to be moving this summer.

I apologize for the pictures again, but you all should know by now that the quality is shitty.  I swear they look so much better on my phone.  Whatevs.


This picture is taken from in front of the window (yes, I now notice my bed is crooked.)  I just got this bedding from Target not too long ago for $89.99.  I really didn't want white bedding, but I felt like with all the navy and coral going on, that it would balance things out a little bit.  I've always lusted over (I hate duvet covers, though) this bedding from West Elm , and this one from Target was very similar, so I went for it.  So far, I'm happy.  I love the way it looks and the texture it adds to the room, and it definitely keeps us warm at night.  I'm nervous about keeping it clean, though.


I HATE THESE DOORS.  I'm still standing by the window, and if you look at the previous picture, this is the closet to the right.  I'm not going to do anything with these doors, but I figured I'd show them to give everyone an idea of the layout of the room.  That mirror is supposed  to go on top of the dresser, but I'd rather be a lazy ass and sit down and do my makeup in front of it, so that's where it's staying for now. (Pssst, anyone spot a Nate Berkus item I got on clearance for $3.99?!)

To orient yourself, the closet is to the left in this picture.  Here, I am standing in front of the door, and my bed is to the right.  Those navy curtains I bought at Target for $12.99 per panel, and I actually really like the way they look and how much light they block out.  You can see how horrid my dresser is.  Must do something with it.  I've had this bedroom set since I was like 8 years old.  It's lasted that long without much harm or damage, so I guess that's a good thing.  Those white and green fake flowers were from when I lived up in Columbia for college, and I just haven't gotten around to chucking them.  Yes, they're fake.  Kill me now!  That silver tray I scored at Goodwill and absolutely loooove it, and it holds all of my jewelry that I'm too lazy to put back in it's proper place.


This is my favorite part of the room so far, because I love everything in this picture.  That lamp base is Nate Berkus, and I scored it on clearance for $15.00!!  I eyed it when I made a previous Tar-jay (I know I'm not the only one that calls it that) trip, and then went back a week later or so and bought it on clearance.  I didn't like any of the lamp shades they had, and I haven't spotted one I really want yet.  So for now, he just sits there headless.  I love him, nonetheless.  I am LOVING all the good stuff Target has in home decor.  I could probably outfit my whole house in stuff from there.  The candle is a soy candle that smells divine, and I thought it was a nice pop of coral.  The coral I also got from Target for $14.99 (I think) and I thought it was awesome, so I bought it.  More on those swatches in a minute!

So, needless to say, this room is pretty small, as you can see from the pictures.  There is a lot more space than my horrible pictures show, though.  The size doesn't bother me too much because we hardly spend any time in here besides to sleep.  I'm really hoping for a bigger room when we move, though.

As I mentioned at the end of this post, I ordered some fabric swatches from an Etsy store (6 swatches for $2.50: here) and they came in the mail not too long ago.  I want to get some coral pillows and wanted to see what the fabric looked like in person, and I think I've made my decision on which ones I'm going to get.

First, here's all 6 swatches:


And here are the ones I'm 85% sure I'm getting against the navy curtain:


I immediately eliminated the middle one in the 2nd picture, because I just wasn't a fan.  I was really debating between the greek key and the chevron.  I think I'm over the chevron thing now, as I've seen it one too many times in 496784379 and 1 other rooms, so that one was out, too.  The floral pattern in the 2nd picture was out, too, as I felt it had too much white in it.  So, that left me with the other three. I'm thinking of getting one pillow in each pattern, but I don't know if that would be too much.  This is when I really wish I had readers who could give me some advice (my boyfriend isn't much help!)

So, that's where I am, so far.  Looong ways to go, but here's a little list of what I have in mind to do/buy etc. (read: I won't get to even half of it given the fact that we are supposed to be moving in a few months!)

  • Buy new sheets (I'm totally stumped on which color/pattern to get)
  • Order coral pillows
  • Find a lampshade
  • Rug or no rug?  (This room has carpet, but who knows about our next room?  Plus, I feel I could bring in more texture/color with a rug)
  • Find some cool art/DIY some cool art
  • Figure out what the F to do with the dresser and nightstand (paint? stain? have fun destroying and throw away? sell and buy new ones?)
  • Buy a new bed entirely (down the road when I save up some moo-lah)
  • Get rid of the terrible blinds
  • Bring in more texture somehow
  • Accessories, finishing touches, etc.
I think that about covers it.  What do you guys think?  Pleeeeeeeease, if you see this, I beg of you to leave your advice!!  This whole design thing is SO hard, and I'm totally a newbie at it (obviously :D)

Just for funsies, here's a super cute shirt I got for a few bucks at Ross or one of those stores:


I told you I love me some animal print!

Speaking of animal print...

Photo: My new love. Thanks babe <3

O.M.G.  Ross/Marshall's/TJMaxx is kind of Dillon and I's favorite place to go.  As in, we go there multiple times a week.  (Hey, don't judge!)  A few days ago, we randomly went in there and I literally DIED over this real animal fur and leather Badgley Mischka wallet.  It was originally $178.00 and it was on clearance fro $40!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!  I held it close and ran frantically through the store to find my boyfriend and show him my treasure, in which he so sweetly offered (he is seriously the most amazing man) to buy it for me, and I haven't left it out of my sight sense.  IN LOVE.  I justify this purchase by telling myself that I've had my previous wallet for quite a few years, it is too small, and it was disgustingly dirty.  Seriously, people, you have no idea of the treasures you can find in those places if you really look.  I love it!

You guys have no idea how nice it is to just sit here on the couch with no school or work to think about.  Such a luxury for me, now.  Ahhhhh.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to catch up on all my blogs that I've neglected (I literally have 447 new posts on my Google Reader - not. even. kidding.)

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Until next time,
-Em

Pssst - has anyone read the Game of Thrones books?  I just started the first one and am totally hooked.  So many different characters to keep up with, but I highly recommend it so far.  SO good!  I'm a little bookworm (especially now that I have a tablet and can buy them so easily) so if you have any recommendations, feel free to throw them at me :D

No comments:

Post a Comment